PCOC Meeting Minutes – August 7, 2018

Pickleball Court Operations Committee Notes

Present:  Dave Shreffler (Chair), Mary Helen Benapfl, Doug Hastings, Christy Marazon, Mike Cooper, Sharman Owings. Absent:  Katinka Nanna Guests: Beverly Hoffman, Bob Sester

Next Meeting: October 23, 2018, 6PM at Mary Helen’s home

COMMITTEE CHARTER

The PCOC is an oversight committee reporting to the Sequim Picklers Board through the Director of Court Operations (DOCO).  PCOC provides continuity for court operations as the board members and DOCO change over time. Oversight and action by the committee takes the burden and power away from single individuals. PCOC is an advisory group responsible for everything to do with pickleball courts and court operations including input on court construction as it impacts court operations.  Working on behalf of the club, we have accountability to make sure club interests are solicited and represented in all court operations issues and decisions. We will make decisions by consensus or when consensus cannot be reached, by motion and vote. Items of importance will be presented to the board via motion by this committee and presented by the DOCO.

Summary Action items from 8/7/2018

1.      Bob S: talk to his friend that’s an EMT/Firefighter about teaching a CPR/AED class.

2.      Sharman: make “Drills” sign to hang on fence at courts.

3.      Christy: send to membership an informational email about open play.

4.      Christy: notify Rich to thank court monitors and let them know their services are no longer needed.

5.      Christy/Beverly: present the proposed rating system to the Board for approval.

6.      Christy/MH: present the beginner/novice policy to the Board for approval.

7.      Christy/MH: present the youth policy to the Board for approval.

8.      Christy: present the 7 tickets guidelines to the Board for approval.

9.      Christy: take PCOC recommendation to the Board that they need to develop a fee structure for summer visitors.

10.   Dave: review City/SP contract regarding charging the public to play during SP reserved times.

11.   Mike: look up state AED training requirement.

12.   Dave: send Mike Cooper the revised SP play schedule for fall 2018.

13.   Dave: send meeting minutes template and action items to Sharman.

14.   Sharman: send meeting minutes from 8-7-18 meeting to Debbie to be posted on the website.

High Priority/In Progress

  1. Play formats and ‘equal time’ for all member needs at new courts – structured, competitive, social, beginners, hosting, open house, ‘play with 5.0’, public engagement (in progress)
  2. Kids Clinic– need to get on schedule this Summer

          Lower Priority

  • Clinics – put on by 5.0 players – sign up/pay the coach – we just sponsor?  Implement in 2018 
  • ‘Play Schedule’-at new courts for evening by appointment, youth clinics

Monitor

  • Court Budget – provide input each year for equipment, maintenance, rentals, tournaments etc.
  • Marketing/Community Awareness – contribute stories/info to the member newsletter, webpage and external promotion
  • Equipment maintenance – balls, nets etc.
  • Competitive play schedule – review annually
  • Tournaments (1 day events: doubles, mixed, singles) – 3x year
  • League (6/8 week events: ladder, mixed, doubles, shootout) – 3x year
  •  
  • Fall tournament –assist as requested by Tournament Committee
  • Alternatives for indoor play (winter) – many options explored but nothing viable. Search continues

Completed 2018

  • 3rd and Fir courts and storage shed vacated; Thank you letter sent to Sequim School District
  • Insurance –we are covered in all 3 locations; new courts, BGC, 3rd and Fir
  • New Court Club Play Hours and Activities – proposed play schedule approved by SP board and City of Sequim
  • New Court Signs – installed
  • AED and Storage box – approved, ordered and received. To be installed after sufficient number of members have received CPR and AED training (target is prior to September 2018 tournament)
  • BGC position statement approved at March SP Board Meeting
  • Waiver statement added to top of BGC sign in sheet
  • Christy working with Ron Halpren to do stats for ladder league on Monday nights at BGC
  • A description of the Rating process for Sequim Picklers was posted on the website
  • Tournament planning under way utilizing outside coordinator
  • Developed a web page showing all the court operations teams and duties with pictures
  • Player ratings process/communication/tracking – this falls under the league play group to manage and will be tracked by the statistician. Monday night is designated for “competition play” for leagues and ladders. Time in between leagues will be tracked ladder play. Ladder league and open ladder play stats will be kept and communicated to players and participants.
  • Referee training – schedule, process, practice, testing, certification, etc. falls under the Refing group to manage. It is critical we keep a solid pool of refs ready for tournaments. Marty Hoffman is the lead.
  • PA tournament – lessons learned for Fall tournament

pastedGraphic.png

Completed 2017

  • Court Safety / Emergency Plan (all info available on the SAFETY page of the club website)
  • AED/CPR training –plan created and communicated to the club in Nov. Newsletter
  • Ice cards and court emergency plan –cards and instructions available at the gym
  • First Aid Kit – 1 at gym now, another at 3rd/Fir in Spring, another at CBP courts when open
  • BGC reserved days – published position statement on use of the BGC gym and suggestions for communication and financial accounting. (see statement sent to board)
  • Youth outreach – conduct 1-2 youth clinics at BGC gym (starting 2018 also at new courts) using volunteers and Ben’s program. This program aligns with our mission and creates community/connection.
  • 3rd and Fir Playground use – Dave Shreffler is the point of contact with the Sequim School District. Until new ours are built, Dave will work with the school to determine the schedule (days/times) that the SP can use the facility. Info posted on the club calendar and communicated through the newsletter. Must be compliant!
  • 3rd and Fir summer schedule – DOCO set summer schedule for group play at 3rd and Fir. Open, Novice, singles, rated, etc. Strive to allow time for each rated level, new players, classes/clinic and social time.
  • Club exchange program – DOCO and volunteers will conduct 2-3 exchange programs with local clubs. Communicated through website, newsletter and email; provide hospitality. Spreads awareness and goodwill – beneficial for grants, tournaments, community connections.
  • Complaints protocol – DOCO communicated to the board that PCOC would like to be the venue for discussion of any complaints related to courts, court operations and injuries/accidents/incidents.  The board voted in favor. Thus far in 2017 there have been two court play time complaints and one accident/incident brought to the PCOC.
  • Court etiquette sign – sign adapted form research done (Dave) on existing courts and USAPA.
  • Court protocols – revised and published at the gym in a notebook and on website.
  • Women’s clinic – cancelled and all money returned. Will look into holding a replacement in Summer.
  • First aid kit – basic kit purchased and available at the gym. Kept with the indoor courts coordinator.

PCOC Meeting Minutes – June 26, 2018

Pickleball Court Operations Committee Notes 

Present: Dave Shreffler (Chair), Debbie Madden (Vice Chair), Doug Hastings, Christy Marazon, Mike Cooper, Mary Helen Benapfl, Richard Bemm, Charlie Pugh, Ruby Pugh 

Next meeting: August 7, 6-7:30pm at Mary Helen’s home. 

COMMITTEE CHARTER 

The PCOC is an oversight committee reporting to the Sequim Picklers Board through the Director of Court Operations (DOCO).  PCOC provides continuity for court operations as the board members and DOCO change over time.  Oversight and action by the committee takes the burden and power away from single individuals. PCOC is an advisory group, responsible for everything to do with pickleball courts and court operations (including input on court construction as it impacts court operations).  Working on behalf of the club, we have an accountability to make sure club interests are solicited and represented in all court operations issues and decisions.  We will make decisions by consensus or when consensus cannot be reached, by motion and vote.  Items of importance will be presented to the Board via motion by this committee and presented by the DOCO. 

Summary Action Items from 06/26/2018 

1. Debbie:  Send thank you card to Sequim School District for the SP/District partnership that enabled us to play at 3rd and Fir.

2. Christy:  Send email to membership regarding: a) pending opening of new courts and b) vacating 3rd & Fir once the new courts open.

3. Christy/MH:  Develop a policy and fee structure for players transitioning from beginner to novice.

4. Christy/Mike:  Clear out 3rd & Fir shed and notify Dave when finished, so he can notify District.

5. Chuck/Jay:  Transport picnic table from 3rd & Fir to Chuck’s house, so he can repaint it and deliver to new courts.

6. Mike/Christy:  Print and laminate (11 x 17) the new court schedule for PUBLIC display.

7. Debbie/Christy:  Communicate with the SP Board re: PCOC recommendation to suspend play at B&GC for June – Aug 2018.

8. Christy:  Ask Cathy to create a sign-in sheet for the new courts.

9. Christy:  Ask Cathy for member list to provide to Rich.

10. Christy:  Take pens, clipboard, bank bag, plastic crate, member list to new courts.

11. Dave:  Send Christy my contact info for Captain Darrell Sharpe at Fire District 3.

12. Rich:  Send volunteer recruitment email to Christy to send to membership.

13. Dave:  Send PCOC recruitment email to Christy to send to membership.   pastedGraphic_2.png pastedGraphic_3.png pastedGraphic_4.png pastedGraphic_2.png  pastedGraphic_5.png 

14. Dave:  Send Christy the SP version of the new court play schedule to post on website and provide to membership. 

15. Charlie: please notify all of the folks on this email chain as soon as you recv final approval from City to open the new courts. 

High Priority/In Progress 

1. Play formats and equal time for all member needs at new courts—structured, competitive, social, beginners, hosting, open house, play with 5.0, public engagement. (In Progress).

2. Kids Clinic—need to get one scheduled this Summer.

Lower Priority 

●  Clinic—put on by 5.0 players—sign up/pay the coach— we just sponsor?  Implement in 2018 when new courts open

●  Play Schedule at new courts for evening, by appointment, youth clinics

●  Additional Venues—are there any other places to throw up a net and play if we lose 3rd & Fir before the courts are built?

 
Monitor

●  Court Budget—provide input each year for equipment, maintenance, rentals, tournaments, etc.

●  Marketing / Community Awareness—contribute stories/ info to the member newsletter, webpage and external promotion.

●  Equipment maintenance—balls, nets, etc.

●  Competitive Play Schedule—review annually: 

○  Tournaments (1 day events: doubles, mixed, singles)—3 per year

○  League (6/8 week events: ladder, mixed, doubles, shootout—3 per year

●  Fall Tournament—assist as requested by Tournament Committee.

●  Alternatives for indoor play (winter)—Many options  explored but so far nothing
viable—search continues.

Completed 2018

●  Insurance—we are covered in all 3 areas (new courts, B&GC gym, 3rd and Fir)

●  New Court Club Play Hours & Activities—Proposed play schedule approved by SP
Board and City.

●  New Court Signs—installed

●  AED and Storage box—approved and ordered. To be installed after a sufficient
number of members have received CPR and AED training.

●  B&GC position statement approved at March SP Board Meeting.pastedGraphic_2.png pastedGraphic_3.png pastedGraphic_4.png pastedGraphic_2.png pastedGraphic_8.png pastedGraphic_5.png 

●  Waiver statement added to the top of B&GC sign-in sheet.

●  Christy working with Ron to do stats for the ladder league on Monday nights at B&GC.

●  A description of the rating process for Sequim Picklers was posted on the website.

●  Tournament planning under way using outside coordinator.

●  Developed a web page showing all the Court Operations teams and duties, with pictures.

●  Player Ratings Process/Communication/Tracking—this falls under the League Play group to manage and will be tracked by the statistician.  Monday night is designated for competition play for leagues and ladder.  Time in between leagues will be tracked ladder play.  Ladder league and open ladder play stats will be kept and communicated to players that participate.

●  Referee Training—schedule, process, practice, testing, certification, etc. falls under the Reffing group to manage.  It’s critical we keep a solid pool of refs ready for tournaments. Marty Hoffman is the lead.

●  PA Tournament ( Feb 2018 )—lessons learned for Fall Tournament

 
Completed 2017

●  Court Safety/Emergency Plan (all info available on the SAFETY page of the website) 

○  AED/CPR Training—plan created and communicated to the club in Nov. Newsletter

○  ICE Cards & Court Emergency Plan—cards and instructions available at GYM.

○  First Aid Kit—1 at the GYM now, another at 3rd/Fir in the Spring, another at Courts when open.

●  B&GC Reserved days—published position statement on use of the B&GC gym and suggestions for communication and financial accounting. (see statement sent to Board)

●  Youth Outreach—conduct 1 -2 youth clinics at B&GC gym (starting 2018 also in new courts) using volunteers and Ben’s program.  This program aligns with our mission and creates community/connection.

●  3rd & Fir Playground Use—Dave Shreffler is the point of contact with the Sequim School District.  Until new courts are built, Dave will work with the school to determine the schedule (days/times) that the SP can use the facility.  Info posted on the club calendar and communicated through the newsletter.  Must be compliant!

● 3rd & Fir Summer Schedule—DOC set summer scheduled for group play at 3rd & Fir. Open, Novice, Singles, Rated, etc. Strive to allow time for each rated level, new people, classes / clinics and social time.

●  Club Exchange Program—DOC and volunteers will conduct 2-3 exchange programs with local clubs.  Communicated through website, newsletter and email; provide hospitality. Spreads awareness and goodwill – beneficial for grants, tournaments, community connections.pastedGraphic_1.png  pastedGraphic_2.png pastedGraphic_3.png pastedGraphic_4.png pastedGraphic_2.png  pastedGraphic_5.png 

●  Complaints Protocol—DOC communicated to the Board that PCOC would like to be the venue for discussion of any complaints related to courts, court operations, and injuries/accidents/incidents.  The Board voted in favor.  Thus far, in 2017, there have been two court play time complaints and one accident/incident brought to the PCOC.

●  Court etiquette sign—sign adapted from research done (Dave) on existing courts and USAPA.

●  Court Protocols—revised and published at the Gym in a notebook and on the website.

●  Women’s Clinic—cancelled and all money returned.  Will look into holding a replacement in Summer.

●  First Aid Kit—Basic kit purchased and available at the gym—kept with the indoor courts coordinator.

PCOC Meeting Minutes – May 8, 2018

 

Pickleball Court Operations Committee Notes – May 8, 2018

Present: Dave Shreffler (Chair), Debbie Madden (Vice Chair), Doug Hastings, Christy Marazon, Mike Cooper, Mary Hellen Benapfl, Richard Bemm

Next meeting:  June 5, 6-7:30pm at Mary Helen’s home.

COMMITTEE CHARTER  
The PCOC is an oversight committee reporting to the Sequim Picklers Board through the Director of Court Operations (DOCO). PCOC provides continuity for court operations as the board members and DOCO change over time. Oversight and action by the committee takes the burden and power away from single individuals. PCOC is an advisory group, responsible for everything to do with pickleball courts and court operations (including input on court construction as it impacts court operations). Working on behalf of the club, we have an accountability to make sure club interests are solicited and represented in all court operations issues and decisions. We will make decisions by consensus or when consensus cannot be reached, by motion and vote. Items of importance will be presented to the Board via motion by this committee and presented by the DOCO.


Summary Action Items from 05/08/2018

  1. Christy: write up a “when to call 911” draft policy and send out to PCOC for review.
  2. Doug: provide Christy with available dates for summer kid’s clinic.  We’ll ask for volunteers at the annual meeting.
  3. Christy: write up a statement about the “intent of the 3.5-4.0 court” to provide to the membership.
  4. Debbie: check with SP board and provide latest version of liability waiver to Rich.
  5. Rich: run waiver through Washington Cities Insurance Authority.
  6. Christy: write up a statement for the membership regarding ranking protocols and the effort to move toward establishing a ranking committee.  Talk to the board about adding Ranking to the Strategic Plan.
  7. Doug: talk to his contacts about volunteering on a ranking committee.
  8. Mike: working on clearing out the shed at 3rd and Fir and storing our items elsewhere as the school building and the pickleball shed will be demolished soon.  A note will be going out to the membership letting them know when.

High Priority / In Progress

  1. Play formats and ‘equal time’ for all member needs at new courts – structured, competitive, social, beginners, hosting, open house, ‘play with 5.0’, public engagement.  (In Progress).
  2. Kids Clinic – need to get one scheduled this Spring.

Lower Priority
  • Clinics – put on by 5.0 players – sign up / pay the coach – we just sponsor? Implement in 2018 when new courts open
  • Play Schedule’ at new courts for evening, by appointment, youth clinics
  • Awards – types, costs, vendors, etc.
  • Additional Venues – are there any other places to throw up a net and play if we lose 3rd & Fir before the courts are built?

Monitor
  • Court Construction – Dave is the liaison between the Court Construction Committee and PCOC – he’ll share info with PCOC and take input to the construction committee as is appropriate.
  • Court Budget – provide input each year for equipment, maintenance, rentals, tournaments, etc.
  • Marketing / Community Awareness – contribute stories / info to the member newsletter, webpage and external promotion.
  • Equipment maintenance – balls, nets, etc.
  • Competitive Play Schedule – review annually:
    • Tournaments (1 day events : doubles, mixed, singles) – 3 per year
    • League (6/8 week events: ladder, mixed, doubles, shootout) – 3 per year
  • Fall Tournament – assist as requested by Tournament Committee.
  • Alternatives for indoor play (winter) – Many options explored but so far not viable – search continues.

Completed 2018
  • Insurance – we are covered in all 3 areas (new courts, B&GC gym, 3rd and Fir)
  • New Court Club Play Hours – Proposed play schedule approved by SP Board and City.  Approval of hours per day only – activities still TBD.
  • New Court Signs – Signs are approved by the SP Board and the City.  Expense approved.  Signs are ordered.
  • AED and Storage box – approved and ordered.
  • B&GC position statement approved at March SP Board Meeting.
  • Waiver statement added to the top of B&GC sign-in sheet.
  • Christy working with Ron to do stats for the ladder league on Monday nights at B&GC.
  • A description of the rating process for Sequim Picklers was posted on the website.
  • Tournament planning underway using outside coordinator.
  • Developed a web page showing all the Court Operations teams and duties, with pictures.
  • Player Ratings Process / Communication / Tracking – this falls under the League Play group to manage and will be tracked by the statistician. Monday night is designated for ‘competition’ play for leagues and ladder. Time in between leagues will be tracked ladder play. Ladder league and open ladder play stats will be kept and communicated to players that participate.
  • Referee Training – schedule, process, practice, testing, certification, etc. falls under the Reffing group to manage. It’s critical we keep a solid pool of refs ready for tournaments. Marty Hoffman is the lead.
  • PA Tournament ( Feb 2018 ) – lessons learned for Fall Tournament

Completed 2017
  • Court Safety / Emergency Plan ( all info available on the SAFETY page of the website)
    • AED/CPR Training – plan created and communicated to the club in Nov. Newsletter
    • ICE Cards & Court Emergency Plan – cards and instructions available at GYM.
    • First Aid Kit – 1 at the GYM now, another at 3rd/Fir in the Spring, another at Courts when open.
  • B&GC Reserved days – published position statement on use of the B&GC gym and suggestions for communication and financial accounting. (see statement sent to Board)
  • Youth Outreach – conduct 1 -2 youth clinics at B&GC gym (starting 2018 also in new courts) using volunteers and Ben’s program. This program aligns with our mission and creates community / connection.
  • 3rd & Fir Playground Use – Dave Shreffler is the point of contact with the Sequim School District. Until new courts are built, Dave will work with the school to determine the schedule (days / times) that the SP can use the facility. Info posted on the club calendar and communicated through the newsletter. Must be compliant!
  • 3rd & Fir Summer Schedule – DOC set summer scheduled for group play at 3rd & Fir. Open, Novice, Singles, Rated, etc. Strive to allow time for each rated level, new people, classes / clinics and social time.
  • Club Exchange Program – DOC and volunteers will conduct 2-3 exchange programs with local clubs. Communicated through website, newsletter and email; provide hospitality. Spreads awareness and goodwill – beneficial for grants, tournaments, community connection.
  • Complaints Protocol – DOC communicated to the Board that PCOC would like to be the venue for discussion of any complaints related to courts, court operations, and injuries/accidents/incidents. The Board voted in favor. Thus far, in 2017, there have been two court play time complaints and one accident/incident brought to the PCOC.
  • Court etiquette sign – sign adapted from research done (Dave) on existing courts and USAPA.
  • Court Protocols – revised and published at the Gym in a notebook and on the website.
  • Women’s Clinic – cancelled and all money returned. Will look into holding a replacement in Spring / Summer.
  • First Aid Kit – Basic kit purchased and available at the gym – kept with the indoor courts coordinator.

PCOC Minutes – March 6th, 2018

Pickleball Court Operations Committee Notes

Present: Dave Shreffler (Chair), Debbie Madden (Vice Chair), Doug Hastings, Christy Marazon, Mike Cooper, Mary Hellen Benapfl  

Next meeting:  May 8, 6-7:30pm at Mary Helen’s home.

COMMITTEE CHARTER (approved by the board)
The PCOC is an oversight committee reporting to the Sequim Picklers Board through the Director of Court Operations (DOCO). PCOC provides continuity for court operations as the board members and DOCO change over time. Oversight and action by the committee takes the burden and power away from single individuals. PCOC is an advisory group, responsible for everything to do with pickleball courts and court operations (including input on court construction as it impacts court operations). Working on behalf of the club, we have an accountability to make sure club interests are solicited and represented in all court operations issues and decisions. We will make decisions by consensus or when consensus cannot be reached, by motion and vote. Items of importance will be presented to the Board via motion by this committee and presented by the DOCO.


PCOC Report to the SP Board (Board Meeting on 3-17-18)

  • Kyle McKenzie is moving to Spokane and will no longer be part of the PCOC. The peacocks are a highly functioning group and we see no need at this time to find a replacement for Kyle.
  • PCOC/DOCO/ADOCO developed the proposed play schedule for the Carrie Blake courts (CLICK HERE TO SEE). We spent a lot of time trying to make sure we addressed the needs of all our members.
  • Christy agreed to take the lead on exploring additional indoor play options (other than B&GC).
  • Dave S dropped off all the Carrie Blake court sign mockups with the City on 3-14-18. They will review them and get him feedback by end of next week. Dave Nakagawara mentioned two other relevant items: 1) the City has approved SP’s request to install a locked display case near the court entrance gate; and 2) the City would like to know what SPs plans are for a storage shed and kiosk … design, materials, and where the structures will go.

Upcoming items for the SP Board (May)

  1. Approval of costs for the various court signs.
  2. Approval of cost for a locked display case.
  3. Discussion of the proposed court schedule.
Summary Action Items from 03/06/2018
  1. Dave: add to May PCOC agenda … explore other options for indoor play.
  2. Dave: re-do draft play schedule at 8 new courts and send to DOCO for submittal to SP Board and cc PCOC members.
  3. Dave: get cost estimates for Carrie Blake court signs. 
  4. Dave: take a look at plastic sheets that Mike Cooper says are being stored in shed at 3rd & Fir for new court signage.
  5. Christy: talk with Dave at B&GC to see if they have policies/procedures for when to call 911.
  6. Christy: schedule a kids clinic at B&GC. 
  7. Christy: check with Katinka about club insurance.
  8. Christy: check with Sequim School District about playing pickleball in Community School Gym. 
  9. Debbie: post PCOC minutes on SP website. 

High Priority / In Progress

  • Kids Clinic – need to get one scheduled this Spring.
  • New Court Signs – Dave heading up design, cost estimate, etc
  • Play formats and ‘equal time’ for all member needs at new courts – structured, competitive, social, beginners, hosting, open house, ‘play with 5.0’, public engagement.  

Low Priority
  • Clinics – put on by 5.0 players – sign up / pay the coach – we just sponsor? Implement in 2018 when new courts open
  • Play Schedule’ at new courts for evening, by appointment, youth clinics
  • Awards – types, costs, vendors, etc.
  • Additional Venues – are there any other places to throw up a net and play if we lose 3rd & Fir before the courts are built?

Monitor
  • Court Construction – Dave is the liaison between the Court Construction Committee and PCOC – he’ll share info with PCOC and take input to the construction committee as is appropriate.
  • Court Budget – provide input each year for equipment, maintenance, rentals, tournaments, etc.
  • Marketing / Community Awareness – contribute stories / info to the member newsletter, webpage and external promotion.
  • Equipment maintenance – balls, nets, etc.
  • Competitive Play Schedule – review annually:
    • Tournaments (1 day events : doubles, mixed, singles) – 3 per year
    • League (6/8 week events: ladder, mixed, doubles, shootout) – 3 per year
  • PA Tournament ( Feb 2018 ) – lessons learned for Fall Tournament

Completed 2017
  • Court Safety / Emergency Plan ( all info available on the SAFETY page of the website)
    • AED/CPR Training – plan created and communicated to the club in Nov. Newsletter
    • ICE Cards & Court Emergency Plan – cards and instructions available at GYM.
    • First Aid Kit – 1 at the GYM now, another at 3rd/Fir in the Spring, another at Courts when open.
  • B&GC Reserved days – published position statement on use of the B&GC gym and suggestions for communication and financial accounting. (see statement sent to Board)
  • Youth Outreach – conduct 1 -2 youth clinics at B&GC gym (starting 2018 also in new courts) using volunteers and Ben’s program. This program aligns with our mission and creates community / connection.
  • 3rd & Fir Playground Use – Dave Shreffler is the point of contact with the Sequim School District. Until new courts are built, Dave will work with the school to determine the schedule (days / times) that the SP can use the facility. Info posted on the club calendar and communicated through the newsletter. Must be compliant!
  • 3rd & Fir Summer Schedule – DOC set summer scheduled for group play at 3rd & Fir. Open, Novice, Singles, Rated, etc. Strive to allow time for each rated level, new people, classes / clinics and social time.
  • Club Exchange Program – DOC and volunteers will conduct 2-3 exchange programs with local clubs. Communicated through website, newsletter and email; provide hospitality. Spreads awareness and goodwill – beneficial for grants, tournaments, community connection.
  • Complaints Protocol – DOC communicated to the Board that PCOC would like to be the venue for discussion of any complaints related to courts, court operations, and injuries/accidents/incidents. The Board voted in favor. Thus far, in 2017, there have been two court play time complaints and one accident/incident brought to the PCOC.
  • Court etiquette sign – sign adapted from research done (Dave) on existing courts and USAPA.
  • Court Protocols – revised and published at the Gym in a notebook and on the website.
  • Women’s Clinic – cancelled and all money returned. Will look into holding a replacement in Spring / Summer.
  • First Aid Kit – Basic kit purchased and available at the gym – kept with the indoor courts coordinator.

Completed 2018
  • B&GC position statement approved at March SP Board Meeting.
  • Waiver statement added to the top of B&GC sign-in sheet.
  • Christy working with Ron to do stats for the ladder league on Monday nights at B&GC.
  • A description of the rating process for Sequim Picklers was posted on the website.
  • Tournament planning underway using outside coordinator.
  • Developed a web page showing all the Court Operations teams and duties, with pictures.
  • Player Ratings Process / Communication / Tracking – this falls under the League Play group to manage and will be tracked by the statistician. Monday night is designated for ‘competition’ play for leagues and ladder. Time in between leagues will be tracked ladder play. Ladder league and open ladder play stats will be kept and communicated to players that participate.
  • Referee Training – schedule, process, practice, testing, certification, etc. falls under the Reffing group to manage. It’s critical we keep a solid pool of refs ready for tournaments. Marty Hoffman is the lead.

PCOC Minutes – Janauary 11, 2018

Pickleball Court Operations Committee Notes

Present: Dave Shreffler (Chair), Debbie Madden (Vice Chair), Doug Hastings, Christy Marazon, Mike Cooper, Mary Hellen Benapfl, Kyle McKenzie

Last meeting: Thursday, January 11, 2018 @ 6:30, Sequim Library
Next meeting: Tuesday, March 6th @ 6:00 – 8:00, The 5th Avenue (multi-purpose room, 2nd floor)
 
COMMITTEE CHARTER (approved by the board)
The PCOC is an oversight committee reporting to the Sequim Picklers Board through the Director of Court Operations (DOCO). PCOC provides continuity for court operations as the board members and DOCO change over time. Oversight and action by the committee takes the burden and power away from single individuals. PCOC is an advisory group, responsible for everything to do with pickleball courts and court operations (including input on court construction as it impacts court operations). Working on behalf of the club, we have an accountability to make sure club interests are solicited and represented in all court operations issues and decisions. We will make decisions by consensus or when consensus cannot be reached, by motion and vote. Items of importance will be presented to the Board via motion by this committee and presented by the DOCO.

 


Summary Action Items from 01/11/2018
  1. Welcome to Christy (the boss lady), Mike, Mary Helen and Kyle!!
  2. Debbie: follow up with SP Board about B&GC position statement.
  3. Debbie: Explore options for a waiver statement printed on top of B&GC sign-in sheet.
  4. Debbie: Develop protocol for when to call 911 for an injured, but conscious player.
  5. Christy: check with Ron to see if he is willing to do stats for the ladder league on Monday nights at B&GC.
  6. Doug/Christy: write a description of the rating process for Sequim Picklers, and explain how the local rating may not represent an appropriate rating for out of area tournament play.
  7. Doug: send contact info to Christy for the guy you know that runs tournaments (for a fee).
  8. Dave: get cost estimates for Carrie Blake court signs.
  9. Christy: try implementing “2 in” player rotation on Sundays at B&GC, with winners splitting sides and staying on court a max of 2 games. As number of players increases, decrease length of games from 11 to 9 to 7 points.
  10. Dave: send out confirmation of date/time for next PCOC mtg.
  11. Christy: schedule a Kids Clinic at B&G Club
  12. Debbie: Develop a web page showing all the Court Operations teams and duties, with pictures. (assisting Denise)

High Priority / In Progress

  • Kids Clinic – need to get one scheduled this winter.
  • New Court Signs – Dave heading up design, cost estimate, etc
  • Play formats and ‘equal time’ for all member needs – (triggered by member email) – structured, competitive, social, beginners, hosting, open house, ‘play with 5.0’, public engagement **The group voted to make this our top priority for the net PCOC meeting in March.

Low Priority
  • Clinics – put on by 5.0 players – sign up / pay the coach – we just sponsor? Implement in 2018 when new courts open
  • Play Schedule’ at new courts for evening, by appointment, youth clinics
  • Awards – types, costs, vendors, etc.
  • Additional Venues – are there any other places to throw up a net and play if we lose 3rd & Fir before the courts are built?

Monitor
  • Court Construction – Dave is the liaison between the Court Construction Committee and PCOC – he’ll share info with PCOC and take input to the construction committee as is appropriate.
  • Court Budget – provide input each year for equipment, maintenance, rentals, tournaments, etc.
  • Marketing / Community Awareness – contribute stories / info to the member newsletter, webpage and external promotion.
  • Equipment maintenance – balls, nets, etc.
  • Competitive Play Schedule – review annually:
    • Tournaments (1 day events : doubles, mixed, singles) – 3 per year
    • League (6/8 week events: ladder, mixed, doubles, shootout) – 3 per year
  • PA Tournament ( Feb 2018 ) – lessons learned for Fall Tournament

Completed 2017
  • Court Safety / Emergency Plan ( all info available on the SAFETY page of the website)
    • AED/CPR Training – plan created and communicated to the club in Nov. Newsletter
    • ICE Cards & Court Emergency Plan – cards and instructions available at GYM.
    • First Aid Kit – 1 at the GYM now, another at 3rd/Fir in the Spring, another at Courts when open.
  • B&GC Reserved days – published position statement on use of the B&GC gym and suggestions for communication and financial accounting. (see statement sent to Board)
  • Youth Outreach – conduct 1 -2 youth clinics at B&GC gym (starting 2018 also in new courts) using volunteers and Ben’s program. This program aligns with our mission and creates community / connection.
  • 3rd & Fir Playground Use – Dave Shreffler is the point of contact with the Sequim School District. Until new courts are built, Dave will work with the school to determine the schedule (days / times) that the SP can use the facility. Info posted on the club calendar and communicated through the newsletter. Must be compliant!
  • 3rd & Fir Summer Schedule – DOC set summer scheduled for group play at 3rd & Fir. Open, Novice, Singles, Rated, etc. Strive to allow time for each rated level, new people, classes / clinics and social time.
  • Club Exchange Program – DOC and volunteers will conduct 2-3 exchange programs with local clubs. Communicated through website, newsletter and email; provide hospitality. Spreads awareness and goodwill – beneficial for grants, tournaments, community connection.
  • Complaints Protocol – DOC communicated to the Board that PCOC would like to be the venue for discussion of any complaints related to courts, court operations, and injuries/accidents/incidents. The Board voted in favor. Thus far, in 2017, there have been two court play time complaints and one accident/incident brought to the PCOC.
  • Court etiquette sign – sign adapted from research done (Dave) on existing courts and USAPA.
  • Court Protocols – revised and published at the Gym in a notebook and on the website.
  • Women’s Clinic – cancelled and all money returned. Will look into holding a replacement in Spring / Summer.
  • First Aid Kit – Basic kit purchased and available at the gym – kept with the indoor courts coordinator.

Completed 2018
  • Player Ratings Process / Communication / Tracking – this falls under the League Play group to manage and will be tracked by the statistician. Monday night is designated for ‘competition’ play for leagues and ladder. Time in between leagues will be tracked ladder play. Ladder league and open ladder play stats will be kept and communicated to players that participate.
  • Referee Training – schedule, process, practice, testing, certification, etc. falls under the Reffing group to manage. It’s critical we keep a solid pool of refs ready for tournaments. Marty Hoffman is the lead.