Welcome to the Sequim Picklers Club Newsletter Blog Post!! December 1, 2017
Enjoy reading about your club! If you have questions, please contact Jan Tatom.
- The November dinner party at The Cedars at Dungeness honored Ben (and wife, Dee) and gave him a royal sendoff. Fun had by all!
- Indoor League wrapped up (watch for results). Ladder play will begin on Monday nights.
- City of Sequim and the Sequim Picklers continue their mutual admiration and congenial working relationship.
- Maddens seen opening & closing the gym weekends since Ben’s departure and Debbie running league night. Thanks Debbie and Chuck!
- In addition to her secretarial and web duties, Denise is now keeping our calendar up to date. Thanks Denise!
- Welcome to all the new members and to the new members of the PCOC. You are appreciated!
- There were many facets to Ben’s job, so many volunteers are needed to fill the void left by his departure. The Nominating Committee is working to fill that void. Do not wait for them to call! Let them know what responsibilities you are willing to assume to keep the club running smoothly (contact Sharman, Beverly or Lee).
Tidbits collected by Club Communications Director Jan Tatom
To all of you who attended Ben’s Appreciation Night I would like to thank you; it was a fun night.
A special thanks to the people putting it all together, Jan (venue, dinner and program), Sharman (pickleball cake), Ross (Ben’s trophy), Cathy (framed quotes with member signatures), Margie (decorations and cleanup). The awards for Ben were great, made by Ross, Jan and Cathy along with a special award from our PB friends from Port Ludlow: Peter, Hana and Pat. Decorations and cleanup by Margie and her crew were perfect (Noreen, Katinka, Gary and Henry). Sharman made an incredible cake that was decorated PB beautiful.
With Ben stepping back, we need some other SP’s stepping up to take on some of his responsibilities.
We have already had a couple individuals doing a great job on some of those tasks to keep things running smoothly for everyone.
Have a safe and happy holiday.
“Unity is strength… when there is teamwork and collaboration, wonderful things can be achieved.” Mattie Stepanek
“Laughter is the closest distance between two people.” Victor Borge
“It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.” Henry David Thoreau
Submitted by Arvo Johnson, President
- Sundays: 9 am Open Play in Gym.
9 am Open Play Outdoors
- Mondays: 4 pm Open Play Outdoors
6 pm Ladder Play in Gym
- Tuesdays: 4 pm Novice and Open Play Outdoors
- Wednesdays: 4 pm Singles Outdoors
- Thursdays: 4 pm Novice and Open Play Outdoors
- Fridays: Noon Open Play Outdoors
- Saturdays: 9 am Open Play Outdoors
9 am Open Play in Gym-Except Dec 16
- Dec 16 NO GYM
Always check the Club Calendar for current information.
The November 13 City council meeting was especially long with 3 public hearings. They did not get to our agenda item until about 10:00 PM. During the early public comment period, I covered our planned gift of $198,000 to complete building of the courts.
David Garlington (Dept. of Public Works) introduced our topic with a slide that depicted the major parts of the agreement. There were good head nods all around. The one change requested by Ted Miller was to add a termination clause for the City. Ted indicated that the current termination clause, paragraph 16, while sufficient for the City should the SP default, it was insufficient should the City default (because the City would never default). This was just a small point in the overall great accolades we received from the entire council regarding our interactions with the council for the past 3 years. The City lawyer said it would be easy to add that one clause. Ted Miller indicated that the overall agreement was superb and a good example of how the City can do business with non-profits. Bob Lake and Candice Pratt each weighed in with thank-you’s. Finally, Bob Lake, moved to allow Charlie Bush (City Manager) to sign our agreement with the one additional termination change, and the motion passed unanimously.
We should receive a revised version for Arvo’s signature soon. Hooray!
Submitted by Charlie Pugh, Vice President
Remember it is not too late to upgrade from a Bronze to a Silver status and take advantage of this incentive. The “Silver” level membership includes:
- No annual dues FOREVER (which may be $100 annually once the new courts are operational)
- No pay-to-play FOREVER. You can play for FREE FOREVER! (It is anticipated that players below the Bronze level will pay $5 per play session. If you play twice a week for 40 weeks that is already $400 annually.)
- Free league play FOREVER.
- Permanent acknowledgement at the courts, memorializing you helped made these courts a reality.
- And of course the pride you will have of being a part of such a great endeavor – tournament quality courts for the City of Sequim.
THIS EXTENSION EXPIRES AT THE END OF DECEMBER 2017
For any questions, please call Katinka Nanna 360-681-8554 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitted by Katinka Nanna, Treasurer
Pickleball Court Operations Committee (PCOC)
A few updates for November:
- We’ve added two new members to the PCOC. We’re thrilled to have Kyle McKenzie and Mary Helen Benapfl join the “peacocks” committee!
- PCOC has been working with the SP Board to rewrite the job description for the Director of Court Operations (DOCO) and strategize how to keep operations running smoothly until a new DOCO is in place.
- Special Thanks to Debbie Madden (PCOC Vice Chair) who has been running the Monday Night Mixed Doubles League, and also keeping the doors open and lights on for Sat/Sun play at the B&GC. Please thank Debbie next time you see her!
Submitted by Dave Shreffler, PCOC Chairman
SEQUIM PICKLERS T-SHIRTS!!!!!
Hey all you new members…….(and a few of you old hold outs). I still have most sizes and styles available. Now’s the time to show your enthusiasm for the club and the game.
Only $20.00 each, and the proceeds go to the new courts. I will have them available when I am at the courts or you can contact me at 509-999-7345 or email@example.com. Don’t be the only one who doesn’t have a T-Shirt as we get closer to the opening of our new courts! Thanks for supporting Sequim Picklers.
Submitted by Margie Rone, Board Member