Welcome to the Sequim Picklers Club Newsletter Blog Post!! June 1, 2017
Enjoy reading about your club! If you have questions, please contact Jan Tatom.
- CLICK HERE to read about the Sequim Picklers Annual Meeting – it will feature an enchilada cook off.
- Beginner’s lessons were a huge success! Thank the trainers and welcome the new players.
- Practice Class is a great learning experience. Thanks to Ben and Arvo.
- Dave Shreffler has brought us exciting news regarding the courts at Third and Fir! Read his article.
- USE it or LOSE it. Support play at the Boys and Girls Club. If we don’t have enough players supporting play there, new rent rates will be more than our budget can bear.
- Watch for an announcement of court cleanup date at Third and Fir. Your assistance will be appreciated!
- Our fiscal year is coming to a close. It’s been a phenomenal year for pickleball. Come to the annual meeting to hear a recap and to mark your ballot in the election.
- Note that the food assignments for the Fiesta have changed.
- A – R bring side dish or salad
- S – Z bring dessert.
Tidbits collected by Club Communications Director Jan Tatom
DOWNLOAD this article written by Christy Marazon about the health risks of Lyme Disease.
As we get closer to the goal of our new court construction, think of the following:
Submitted by Club President, Arvo Johnson
YOU are a valued member of the Sequim Picklers!
Submitted by Cathy Hathaway, Membership Chair
During the past month, Sequim Picklers has welcomed a dozen new local players to our favorite sport. Realizing that there is still a great deal of untapped curiosity and interest, the Picklers advertised a “beginner’s class” in the local newspapers. Eighteen persons ranging in age from fifty-five to seventy-seven originally signed up for the Tuesday/Thursday afternoon sessions that concentrated on rules, etiquette, and playing the game.
A full dozen saw the course through to the end, and received certificates of accomplishment from the Sequim Picklers. The short class was developed and run by George Davis, Richard Cary, Ruby Pugh, and Mary Helen Benapfl.
“What impressed me,” said Mary Helen, “Is that they all had such a good time, such good-natured fun. Even in a thirty mile an hour wind! The only reason they stopped playing was that we had to take down the nets at five p.m.”
So if you find yourself paired with one of our new players, smack your paddles in welcome, and be assured that your favorite game is in good hands and still growing fast.
Submitted by Charlie Pugh
UPDATE ON 3RD & FIR
- SSD has no plans to demolish/remove the 3rd and Fir courts; that’s a rumor. The levy that passed did not include any demolition or alterations to the courts.
- SSD agreed to do everything they can to ensure no interruption in summer play at the courts (begins June 19th).
- SSD was not aware that Sequim Sunrise Rotary and Sequim Picklers built the 3rd & Fir courts in July 2012. Gary and Heidi now understand that SP and Sunrise Rotary have a sense of ownership for the courts and being told by SSD that we can’t play on them while Olympic Peninsula Academy is in session is difficult to swallow.
- SSD agreed to meet with me toward the end of summer to revisit play at the courts during the school year. Gary verbally committed to finding a solution that allows SP more play time during the week (starting in fall 2017).
- Doors open at 9AM.
- Ladder Groups are 2.5 / 3.0 / 3.5 / 4.0 and up. Captains will be elected prior to league play.
- No partner needed, the ladder selects them.
- On each Summer Ladder League, players will play with every player against every other player in a switching partner round robin.
- You will be signed up with your Club Rating unless otherwise designated by the League Director. (USAPA ratings take presidence over Club Ratings)
- Your statistics will be recorded and rankings will come out every week.
Remember: BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB etiquette …please enter in the east door, and drive in the west driveway.
Submitted by Director of Court Operations, Ben Sanders
Nothing new to report this month.
Submitted by Club Secretary Denise Cordero
Please see the attachment in the email.
Submitted by Club Treasurer Katinka Nanna