PCOC Meeting Minutes – August 7, 2018

Pickleball Court Operations Committee Notes

Present:  Dave Shreffler (Chair), Mary Helen Benapfl, Doug Hastings, Christy Marazon, Mike Cooper, Sharman Owings. Absent:  Katinka Nanna Guests: Beverly Hoffman, Bob Sester

Next Meeting: October 23, 2018, 6PM at Mary Helen’s home

COMMITTEE CHARTER

The PCOC is an oversight committee reporting to the Sequim Picklers Board through the Director of Court Operations (DOCO).  PCOC provides continuity for court operations as the board members and DOCO change over time. Oversight and action by the committee takes the burden and power away from single individuals. PCOC is an advisory group responsible for everything to do with pickleball courts and court operations including input on court construction as it impacts court operations.  Working on behalf of the club, we have accountability to make sure club interests are solicited and represented in all court operations issues and decisions. We will make decisions by consensus or when consensus cannot be reached, by motion and vote. Items of importance will be presented to the board via motion by this committee and presented by the DOCO.

Summary Action items from 8/7/2018

1.      Bob S: talk to his friend that’s an EMT/Firefighter about teaching a CPR/AED class.

2.      Sharman: make “Drills” sign to hang on fence at courts.

3.      Christy: send to membership an informational email about open play.

4.      Christy: notify Rich to thank court monitors and let them know their services are no longer needed.

5.      Christy/Beverly: present the proposed rating system to the Board for approval.

6.      Christy/MH: present the beginner/novice policy to the Board for approval.

7.      Christy/MH: present the youth policy to the Board for approval.

8.      Christy: present the 7 tickets guidelines to the Board for approval.

9.      Christy: take PCOC recommendation to the Board that they need to develop a fee structure for summer visitors.

10.   Dave: review City/SP contract regarding charging the public to play during SP reserved times.

11.   Mike: look up state AED training requirement.

12.   Dave: send Mike Cooper the revised SP play schedule for fall 2018.

13.   Dave: send meeting minutes template and action items to Sharman.

14.   Sharman: send meeting minutes from 8-7-18 meeting to Debbie to be posted on the website.

High Priority/In Progress

  1. Play formats and ‘equal time’ for all member needs at new courts – structured, competitive, social, beginners, hosting, open house, ‘play with 5.0’, public engagement (in progress)
  2. Kids Clinic– need to get on schedule this Summer

          Lower Priority

  • Clinics – put on by 5.0 players – sign up/pay the coach – we just sponsor?  Implement in 2018 
  • ‘Play Schedule’-at new courts for evening by appointment, youth clinics

Monitor

  • Court Budget – provide input each year for equipment, maintenance, rentals, tournaments etc.
  • Marketing/Community Awareness – contribute stories/info to the member newsletter, webpage and external promotion
  • Equipment maintenance – balls, nets etc.
  • Competitive play schedule – review annually
  • Tournaments (1 day events: doubles, mixed, singles) – 3x year
  • League (6/8 week events: ladder, mixed, doubles, shootout) – 3x year
  •  
  • Fall tournament –assist as requested by Tournament Committee
  • Alternatives for indoor play (winter) – many options explored but nothing viable. Search continues

Completed 2018

  • 3rd and Fir courts and storage shed vacated; Thank you letter sent to Sequim School District
  • Insurance –we are covered in all 3 locations; new courts, BGC, 3rd and Fir
  • New Court Club Play Hours and Activities – proposed play schedule approved by SP board and City of Sequim
  • New Court Signs – installed
  • AED and Storage box – approved, ordered and received. To be installed after sufficient number of members have received CPR and AED training (target is prior to September 2018 tournament)
  • BGC position statement approved at March SP Board Meeting
  • Waiver statement added to top of BGC sign in sheet
  • Christy working with Ron Halpren to do stats for ladder league on Monday nights at BGC
  • A description of the Rating process for Sequim Picklers was posted on the website
  • Tournament planning under way utilizing outside coordinator
  • Developed a web page showing all the court operations teams and duties with pictures
  • Player ratings process/communication/tracking – this falls under the league play group to manage and will be tracked by the statistician. Monday night is designated for “competition play” for leagues and ladders. Time in between leagues will be tracked ladder play. Ladder league and open ladder play stats will be kept and communicated to players and participants.
  • Referee training – schedule, process, practice, testing, certification, etc. falls under the Refing group to manage. It is critical we keep a solid pool of refs ready for tournaments. Marty Hoffman is the lead.
  • PA tournament – lessons learned for Fall tournament

pastedGraphic.png

Completed 2017

  • Court Safety / Emergency Plan (all info available on the SAFETY page of the club website)
  • AED/CPR training –plan created and communicated to the club in Nov. Newsletter
  • Ice cards and court emergency plan –cards and instructions available at the gym
  • First Aid Kit – 1 at gym now, another at 3rd/Fir in Spring, another at CBP courts when open
  • BGC reserved days – published position statement on use of the BGC gym and suggestions for communication and financial accounting. (see statement sent to board)
  • Youth outreach – conduct 1-2 youth clinics at BGC gym (starting 2018 also at new courts) using volunteers and Ben’s program. This program aligns with our mission and creates community/connection.
  • 3rd and Fir Playground use – Dave Shreffler is the point of contact with the Sequim School District. Until new ours are built, Dave will work with the school to determine the schedule (days/times) that the SP can use the facility. Info posted on the club calendar and communicated through the newsletter. Must be compliant!
  • 3rd and Fir summer schedule – DOCO set summer schedule for group play at 3rd and Fir. Open, Novice, singles, rated, etc. Strive to allow time for each rated level, new players, classes/clinic and social time.
  • Club exchange program – DOCO and volunteers will conduct 2-3 exchange programs with local clubs. Communicated through website, newsletter and email; provide hospitality. Spreads awareness and goodwill – beneficial for grants, tournaments, community connections.
  • Complaints protocol – DOCO communicated to the board that PCOC would like to be the venue for discussion of any complaints related to courts, court operations and injuries/accidents/incidents.  The board voted in favor. Thus far in 2017 there have been two court play time complaints and one accident/incident brought to the PCOC.
  • Court etiquette sign – sign adapted form research done (Dave) on existing courts and USAPA.
  • Court protocols – revised and published at the gym in a notebook and on website.
  • Women’s clinic – cancelled and all money returned. Will look into holding a replacement in Summer.
  • First aid kit – basic kit purchased and available at the gym. Kept with the indoor courts coordinator.