PCOC Meeting Minutes – June 26, 2018

Pickleball Court Operations Committee Notes 

Present: Dave Shreffler (Chair), Debbie Madden (Vice Chair), Doug Hastings, Christy Marazon, Mike Cooper, Mary Helen Benapfl, Richard Bemm, Charlie Pugh, Ruby Pugh 

Next meeting: August 7, 6-7:30pm at Mary Helen’s home. 

COMMITTEE CHARTER 

The PCOC is an oversight committee reporting to the Sequim Picklers Board through the Director of Court Operations (DOCO).  PCOC provides continuity for court operations as the board members and DOCO change over time.  Oversight and action by the committee takes the burden and power away from single individuals. PCOC is an advisory group, responsible for everything to do with pickleball courts and court operations (including input on court construction as it impacts court operations).  Working on behalf of the club, we have an accountability to make sure club interests are solicited and represented in all court operations issues and decisions.  We will make decisions by consensus or when consensus cannot be reached, by motion and vote.  Items of importance will be presented to the Board via motion by this committee and presented by the DOCO. 

Summary Action Items from 06/26/2018 

1. Debbie:  Send thank you card to Sequim School District for the SP/District partnership that enabled us to play at 3rd and Fir.

2. Christy:  Send email to membership regarding: a) pending opening of new courts and b) vacating 3rd & Fir once the new courts open.

3. Christy/MH:  Develop a policy and fee structure for players transitioning from beginner to novice.

4. Christy/Mike:  Clear out 3rd & Fir shed and notify Dave when finished, so he can notify District.

5. Chuck/Jay:  Transport picnic table from 3rd & Fir to Chuck’s house, so he can repaint it and deliver to new courts.

6. Mike/Christy:  Print and laminate (11 x 17) the new court schedule for PUBLIC display.

7. Debbie/Christy:  Communicate with the SP Board re: PCOC recommendation to suspend play at B&GC for June – Aug 2018.

8. Christy:  Ask Cathy to create a sign-in sheet for the new courts.

9. Christy:  Ask Cathy for member list to provide to Rich.

10. Christy:  Take pens, clipboard, bank bag, plastic crate, member list to new courts.

11. Dave:  Send Christy my contact info for Captain Darrell Sharpe at Fire District 3.

12. Rich:  Send volunteer recruitment email to Christy to send to membership.

13. Dave:  Send PCOC recruitment email to Christy to send to membership.   pastedGraphic_2.png pastedGraphic_3.png pastedGraphic_4.png pastedGraphic_2.png  pastedGraphic_5.png 

14. Dave:  Send Christy the SP version of the new court play schedule to post on website and provide to membership. 

15. Charlie: please notify all of the folks on this email chain as soon as you recv final approval from City to open the new courts. 

High Priority/In Progress 

1. Play formats and equal time for all member needs at new courts—structured, competitive, social, beginners, hosting, open house, play with 5.0, public engagement. (In Progress).

2. Kids Clinic—need to get one scheduled this Summer.

Lower Priority 

●  Clinic—put on by 5.0 players—sign up/pay the coach— we just sponsor?  Implement in 2018 when new courts open

●  Play Schedule at new courts for evening, by appointment, youth clinics

●  Additional Venues—are there any other places to throw up a net and play if we lose 3rd & Fir before the courts are built?

 
Monitor

●  Court Budget—provide input each year for equipment, maintenance, rentals, tournaments, etc.

●  Marketing / Community Awareness—contribute stories/ info to the member newsletter, webpage and external promotion.

●  Equipment maintenance—balls, nets, etc.

●  Competitive Play Schedule—review annually: 

○  Tournaments (1 day events: doubles, mixed, singles)—3 per year

○  League (6/8 week events: ladder, mixed, doubles, shootout—3 per year

●  Fall Tournament—assist as requested by Tournament Committee.

●  Alternatives for indoor play (winter)—Many options  explored but so far nothing
viable—search continues.

Completed 2018

●  Insurance—we are covered in all 3 areas (new courts, B&GC gym, 3rd and Fir)

●  New Court Club Play Hours & Activities—Proposed play schedule approved by SP
Board and City.

●  New Court Signs—installed

●  AED and Storage box—approved and ordered. To be installed after a sufficient
number of members have received CPR and AED training.

●  B&GC position statement approved at March SP Board Meeting.pastedGraphic_2.png pastedGraphic_3.png pastedGraphic_4.png pastedGraphic_2.png pastedGraphic_8.png pastedGraphic_5.png 

●  Waiver statement added to the top of B&GC sign-in sheet.

●  Christy working with Ron to do stats for the ladder league on Monday nights at B&GC.

●  A description of the rating process for Sequim Picklers was posted on the website.

●  Tournament planning under way using outside coordinator.

●  Developed a web page showing all the Court Operations teams and duties, with pictures.

●  Player Ratings Process/Communication/Tracking—this falls under the League Play group to manage and will be tracked by the statistician.  Monday night is designated for competition play for leagues and ladder.  Time in between leagues will be tracked ladder play.  Ladder league and open ladder play stats will be kept and communicated to players that participate.

●  Referee Training—schedule, process, practice, testing, certification, etc. falls under the Reffing group to manage.  It’s critical we keep a solid pool of refs ready for tournaments. Marty Hoffman is the lead.

●  PA Tournament ( Feb 2018 )—lessons learned for Fall Tournament

 
Completed 2017

●  Court Safety/Emergency Plan (all info available on the SAFETY page of the website) 

○  AED/CPR Training—plan created and communicated to the club in Nov. Newsletter

○  ICE Cards & Court Emergency Plan—cards and instructions available at GYM.

○  First Aid Kit—1 at the GYM now, another at 3rd/Fir in the Spring, another at Courts when open.

●  B&GC Reserved days—published position statement on use of the B&GC gym and suggestions for communication and financial accounting. (see statement sent to Board)

●  Youth Outreach—conduct 1 -2 youth clinics at B&GC gym (starting 2018 also in new courts) using volunteers and Ben’s program.  This program aligns with our mission and creates community/connection.

●  3rd & Fir Playground Use—Dave Shreffler is the point of contact with the Sequim School District.  Until new courts are built, Dave will work with the school to determine the schedule (days/times) that the SP can use the facility.  Info posted on the club calendar and communicated through the newsletter.  Must be compliant!

● 3rd & Fir Summer Schedule—DOC set summer scheduled for group play at 3rd & Fir. Open, Novice, Singles, Rated, etc. Strive to allow time for each rated level, new people, classes / clinics and social time.

●  Club Exchange Program—DOC and volunteers will conduct 2-3 exchange programs with local clubs.  Communicated through website, newsletter and email; provide hospitality. Spreads awareness and goodwill – beneficial for grants, tournaments, community connections.pastedGraphic_1.png  pastedGraphic_2.png pastedGraphic_3.png pastedGraphic_4.png pastedGraphic_2.png  pastedGraphic_5.png 

●  Complaints Protocol—DOC communicated to the Board that PCOC would like to be the venue for discussion of any complaints related to courts, court operations, and injuries/accidents/incidents.  The Board voted in favor.  Thus far, in 2017, there have been two court play time complaints and one accident/incident brought to the PCOC.

●  Court etiquette sign—sign adapted from research done (Dave) on existing courts and USAPA.

●  Court Protocols—revised and published at the Gym in a notebook and on the website.

●  Women’s Clinic—cancelled and all money returned.  Will look into holding a replacement in Summer.

●  First Aid Kit—Basic kit purchased and available at the gym—kept with the indoor courts coordinator.