PCOC Meeting Minutes – May 8th, 2018

Pickleball Court Operations Committee Notes

Present: Dave Shreffler (Chair), Debbie Madden (Vice Chair), Doug Hastings, Christy Marazon, Mike Cooper, Mary Hellen Benapfl, Richard Bemm

Next meeting:  June 5, 6-7:30pm at Mary Helen’s home.

COMMITTEE CHARTER  
The PCOC is an oversight committee reporting to the Sequim Picklers Board through the Director of Court Operations (DOCO). PCOC provides continuity for court operations as the board members and DOCO change over time. Oversight and action by the committee takes the burden and power away from single individuals. PCOC is an advisory group, responsible for everything to do with pickleball courts and court operations (including input on court construction as it impacts court operations). Working on behalf of the club, we have an accountability to make sure club interests are solicited and represented in all court operations issues and decisions. We will make decisions by consensus or when consensus cannot be reached, by motion and vote. Items of importance will be presented to the Board via motion by this committee and presented by the DOCO.


Summary Action Items from 05/08/2018

  1. Christy: write up a “when to call 911” draft policy and send out to PCOC for review.
  2. Doug: provide Christy with available dates for summer kid’s clinic.  We’ll ask for volunteers at the annual meeting.
  3. Christy: write up a statement about the “intent of the 3.5-4.0 court” to provide to the membership.
  4. Debbie: check with SP board and provide latest version of liability waiver to Rich.
  5. Rich: run waiver through Washington Cities Insurance Authority.
  6. Christy: write up a statement for the membership regarding ranking protocols and the effort to move toward establishing a ranking committee.  Talk to the board about adding Ranking to the Strategic Plan.
  7. Doug: talk to his contacts about volunteering on a ranking committee.
  8. Mike: working on clearing out the shed at 3rd and Fir and storing our items elsewhere as the school building and the pickleball shed will be demolished soon.  A note will be going out to the membership letting them know when.

High Priority / In Progress

  1. Play formats and ‘equal time’ for all member needs at new courts – structured, competitive, social, beginners, hosting, open house, ‘play with 5.0’, public engagement.  (In Progress).
  2. Kids Clinic – need to get one scheduled this Spring.

Lower Priority
  • Clinics – put on by 5.0 players – sign up / pay the coach – we just sponsor? Implement in 2018 when new courts open
  • Play Schedule’ at new courts for evening, by appointment, youth clinics
  • Awards – types, costs, vendors, etc.
  • Additional Venues – are there any other places to throw up a net and play if we lose 3rd & Fir before the courts are built?

Monitor
  • Court Construction – Dave is the liaison between the Court Construction Committee and PCOC – he’ll share info with PCOC and take input to the construction committee as is appropriate.
  • Court Budget – provide input each year for equipment, maintenance, rentals, tournaments, etc.
  • Marketing / Community Awareness – contribute stories / info to the member newsletter, webpage and external promotion.
  • Equipment maintenance – balls, nets, etc.
  • Competitive Play Schedule – review annually:
    • Tournaments (1 day events : doubles, mixed, singles) – 3 per year
    • League (6/8 week events: ladder, mixed, doubles, shootout) – 3 per year
  • Fall Tournament – assist as requested by Tournament Committee.
  • Alternatives for indoor play (winter) – Many options explored but so far not viable – search continues.

Completed 2018
  • Insurance – we are covered in all 3 areas (new courts, B&GC gym, 3rd and Fir)
  • New Court Club Play Hours – Proposed play schedule approved by SP Board and City.  Approval of hours per day only – activities still TBD.
  • New Court Signs – Signs are approved by the SP Board and the City.  Expense approved.  Signs are ordered.
  • AED and Storage box – approved and ordered.
  • B&GC position statement approved at March SP Board Meeting.
  • Waiver statement added to the top of B&GC sign-in sheet.
  • Christy working with Ron to do stats for the ladder league on Monday nights at B&GC.
  • A description of the rating process for Sequim Picklers was posted on the website.
  • Tournament planning underway using outside coordinator.
  • Developed a web page showing all the Court Operations teams and duties, with pictures.
  • Player Ratings Process / Communication / Tracking – this falls under the League Play group to manage and will be tracked by the statistician. Monday night is designated for ‘competition’ play for leagues and ladder. Time in between leagues will be tracked ladder play. Ladder league and open ladder play stats will be kept and communicated to players that participate.
  • Referee Training – schedule, process, practice, testing, certification, etc. falls under the Reffing group to manage. It’s critical we keep a solid pool of refs ready for tournaments. Marty Hoffman is the lead.
  • PA Tournament ( Feb 2018 ) – lessons learned for Fall Tournament

Completed 2017
  • Court Safety / Emergency Plan ( all info available on the SAFETY page of the website)
    • AED/CPR Training – plan created and communicated to the club in Nov. Newsletter
    • ICE Cards & Court Emergency Plan – cards and instructions available at GYM.
    • First Aid Kit – 1 at the GYM now, another at 3rd/Fir in the Spring, another at Courts when open.
  • B&GC Reserved days – published position statement on use of the B&GC gym and suggestions for communication and financial accounting. (see statement sent to Board)
  • Youth Outreach – conduct 1 -2 youth clinics at B&GC gym (starting 2018 also in new courts) using volunteers and Ben’s program. This program aligns with our mission and creates community / connection.
  • 3rd & Fir Playground Use – Dave Shreffler is the point of contact with the Sequim School District. Until new courts are built, Dave will work with the school to determine the schedule (days / times) that the SP can use the facility. Info posted on the club calendar and communicated through the newsletter. Must be compliant!
  • 3rd & Fir Summer Schedule – DOC set summer scheduled for group play at 3rd & Fir. Open, Novice, Singles, Rated, etc. Strive to allow time for each rated level, new people, classes / clinics and social time.
  • Club Exchange Program – DOC and volunteers will conduct 2-3 exchange programs with local clubs. Communicated through website, newsletter and email; provide hospitality. Spreads awareness and goodwill – beneficial for grants, tournaments, community connection.
  • Complaints Protocol – DOC communicated to the Board that PCOC would like to be the venue for discussion of any complaints related to courts, court operations, and injuries/accidents/incidents. The Board voted in favor. Thus far, in 2017, there have been two court play time complaints and one accident/incident brought to the PCOC.
  • Court etiquette sign – sign adapted from research done (Dave) on existing courts and USAPA.
  • Court Protocols – revised and published at the Gym in a notebook and on the website.
  • Women’s Clinic – cancelled and all money returned. Will look into holding a replacement in Spring / Summer.
  • First Aid Kit – Basic kit purchased and available at the gym – kept with the indoor courts coordinator.