Welcome to the Sequim Picklers Club Newsletter Blog Post!! February, 2019
Enjoy reading about your club! If you have questions, please contact Frank Mauger.
1. The snow has cleared and hopefully weather will be improving for outdoor play.
2. Welcome to Frank Mauger, our new Director of Communications.
3. The Sequim Fling Pickleball Tournament is scheduled for May 2019. Early registration starts March 2nd here.
4. There is limited play at the Boys and Girls Club; watch the calendar for times and dates.
5. Monday night’s Open Ladder League in progress.
6. Keep the court surface in good repair by avoiding the dirt and pea gravel area on the south side of the courts.
7. The Olympic Pickleball Tournament 2019 was held February 22-24. The Picklers made a good showing.
Submitted by Frank Mauger, Director of Communications
Well the snow is finally gone and we can get back to the courts. I hope everyone faired well with the unusual snowfall for “Sunny Sequim”. We will be setting up the benches this weekend now that the snow is gone, look for the new addition to the courts. For those of you playing in the PA tournament good luck and have fun. I spent some time with Steve Shapiro who some of you know, a player from PT who moved to Tuscon, AZ last year. He is president of the pickleball club with 370 members, we talked about different ideas for our clubs. They have 16 courts and are busting at the seams with a growing community. With our Spring tournament on the board now we will be looking for volunteers to make this as successful as our last Fall tournament.
At the business meeting in June we will be voting on candidates nominated for board positions. It is the job of the Nominating Committee to find and bring those candidates forward. We are looking for 2-3 people to serve as this year’s Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee reports to the president of the Board and uses their amazing networking and persuasion skills to find the perfect, qualified candidates to fill important board positions. Please contact Arvo Johnson if you are interested.
Have fun and be safe,
“In Winter, I plot and plan. in Spring, I move.” Henry Rollins
“Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.” Vince Lombardi
Submitted by Arvo Johnson, President
Save the Date for June 16th 12:00 – 5:00 for the SP Annual Membership / Business Meeting at Guy Cole Center in Carrie Blake Park – more details to follow. We need a small committee to work with the board to organize this event – at least 1 person right now to be lead and get more volunteers as needed. Please contact Debbie Madden if you are interested.
The Sequim Picklers have, for the past 3 years, provided workers to assist with setting up portions of the Sequim Lavender Festival, marking booth spaces and assisting with vendor load in. The festival will be held in Carrie Blake Park from July 19-21. We need a Club member volunteer to step up and be the leader of that work group. Full details on our Job Opportunities page.
- Sundays: 1 pm-4 pm Open Play Outdoors. Boys & Girls Club 9-12 pm. Check the Calendar!!
- Mondays: 9 am-12 pm Open Play Outdoors, 6 pm – 9 pm Ladder Play Gym. Check the calendar!!
- Tuesdays: 9 am-12 pm Open Play Outdoors, 12 pm-2 pm Novice Play Outdoors.
- Wednesdays: 9 am-12 pm Open Play Outdoors.
- Thursdays: 9 am-12 pm Open Play Outdoors, 12 pm-2 pm Novice Play Outdoors.
- Fridays: 9 am-12 pm Open Play Outdoors.
- Saturdays: 9 am-12 pm Rated Play Outdoors.
Always check the Club Calendar for current information.
Look Smart, Be Smart
Wear Protective Eye Gear!
Recently, while having an eye exam at the Sequim Vision Clinic, I asked my optometrist Cynthia Bidegary if I should be wearing eye protection while playing pickleball. She told me a strike from a pickleball can cause loss of vision, a detached retina and in her words, “lots of other yucky stuff.” She recommends wearing a pair of polycarbonate lenses every time I play.
I just wanted to pass along the reminder to Wear Protective Eye Gear every time you play pickleball. All the best players do it and so should you.
See you on the courts,
P.S s (Get it? “See” you on the courts).
Submitted by Warren Mecca, Membership Chair
Click here for the January 2019 Financial Report.
Submitted by Katinka Nanna, Treasurer
Snowmageddon put a crimp in our outdoor play. Thank you for your patience and letting mother nature clear the snow. Open Ladder League is underway, Monday nights at the Boys & Girls Club. Next Monday, March 4 our groups switch times. 3.5 – 4.0 players will play 6 p to 7:30 p and 2.5 – 3.0 players will start at 7:30 p and play until 9 p. Come out and join the fun!! Our Sequim Fling Pickleball Tournament is scheduled for May. You can register early at pickleballtournaments.com. We will be looking for lots of volunteers to help make this a successful tournament.
Submitted by Christy Marazon, Director of Court Operations
Pickleball Court Operations Committee (PCOC)
Dave Shreffler, PCOC Chairman, is on vacation.