Your Pickleball Courts Operations Committee (PCOC) is rolling out our Courts Safety / Emergency Plan – be it indoor, outdoor or at the Carrie Blake Park courts. Details are below. If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact Debbie Madden.
A FIRST AID KIT is available at the Boys and Girls Club to help treat minor injuries.
CPR and AED Training
Over the past year, we’ve seen a number of stories regarding pickleball players having heart attacks on the courts, and some ending tragically when the club or facility was not prepared to handle it. We are fortunate that the Boys and Girls Club gym and the Carrie Blake Park Courts have AED machines (Automated External Defibrillator). We want to be prepared at both faculties for those emergencies. There are loads of stats on how the use of the AED and CPR can make all the difference in the first few minutes of an emergency, and how that saves lives.
Here is what you can do to help:
- All members interested and willing should take a CPR/AED class at the Clallam County Fire District #3 fire station.
- There is a public CPR/AED training every 1st Thursday of the month from 6:30 – 9:00.
- You have to call or drop in to sign up so they can plan space.
- Class is free, unless you want an official CPR card, then you have to pay $10 (that’s their cost to get the Red Cross to issue the card). You can get a free card from the Clallam FD.
- Once you take the class, notify the PCOC.
In April 2019, we held a training class for members. More classes may be offered in the future just for Sequim Picklers. If you would like to learn CPR and/or AED operation from a professional at a reasonable cost, please contact Katinka.
We’ll be keeping a list of trained ‘first responders’ at the courts – this information will be used with our In Case of Emergency (ICE) cards and processes (see below)
ICE Cards are in use now at the Boys and Girls Club Gym. The ICE card box will be kept with the Director of Courts and brought out during each group play session. It is recommended that each member, especially those that play regularly, fill out a card. This information will be critical during an emergency and for the EMTs should they be called in. We will maintain one set at the Boys and Girls Club Gym and one set at the new Courts at Carrie Blake Park.
If you have any questions, please contact Debbie Madden.